New Year New You
Recently, one of my readers posted that they were going to run a marathon. That, along with myriad of people wanting to lose weight as their new years resolution gave me the idea for todays prompt. This article is filled with information on all aspects of running/working out from preparation to cool down and a link to my favorite go to work out site. Enjoy.
Your already past the hard part, you’ve made up your mind to lose weight, get in shape, and go for it. Congratulations! Why not set your goals for what you’d like to see in the next month. Wether its increasing your reps from ten to twenty or running that mile in less time, nows your opportunity to plan ahead. Set multiple small goals between now and your big event this will give you boosts of confidence along the way!
Most health care professionals recommend a good stretching before any workout that includes running! Ever wanted to try yoga or palates? Now would be a good time to start. Not only will you limber up your body but its said you’ll gain peace of mind as well. I’m still on the lookout for that perfect routine so if you use a particular site I’d love the link.
Motivation. Feeling a little lackluster? We all go through it, we are pumped up the first few times but then we start to lose interest or procrastinate and pretty soon those weight loss goals are once again next years resolution. Well I say NO MORE! Here are a few tips to keep you on the right path. What keeps you motivated?
- Keep a workout log – Workout logs are great because you can accurately measure how far you’ve come since you started your plan. Any spiral bound note-book will do. It’s amazing to look back after a few months at your progress.
- The buddy system – Having a partner is a great motivator, having another person working with you can help you push out those few extra reps. They can also spot you during more difficult exercises.
- Music – Music is great anytime! Why not make a playlist of songs that really get you pumped up and feeling good. Thats sure to add an extra kick to your routine.
- Change up your routine – Changing up your exercises is a great way to get out of a rut. The site link I will give has tons of workouts for the body or you can choose one particular area.
Nutrition. Getting the right nutrition is important all the time but, the right combination can really enhance your workouts. Lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies, and whey protein shakes are highly recommended. You should talk to your healthcare provider about any drastic changes and they can help you pinpoint your particular needs. Hydration is very important be sure to drink lots of water.
As with any strenuous activity running can have its hazards. I’ve provided a link from Runners World a website that is completely devoted to runners that offers tips on injury prevention and treatments. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285–13413-0,00.html
Cool down. Whew! Are you out of breath yet? Cool down is an essential part of any training that allows your body time to rest, and return to its normal state. This is a good time to take your supplements, drink or eat your protein, and stretch out again to prevent aching muscles later.
Now, the link I promised. My favorite fitness site of all time is bodyrock.tv it is an amazing site filled with everything fitness that everyone can take something from. What are your fitness goals for the New Year?
- After workout snacks: (anitakellam.wordpress.com)
- How Often Do You Change Your Workout? (fitsugar.com)
- Pre and Peri-Workout Nutrition (strengthandphysique.blogspot.com)
- Types for Getting Started (megshealthblog.wordpress.com)
- How to Shake Up a Stale Workout Buddy Routine (fitsugar.com)
- Losing weight, eating right: For real this time (sarabozich.com)
- 8 Small Ways to Lose Big Pounds in 2012 (fitsugar.com)
- Get the Most from your Workout Resolution in New Year (livesolara.com)
- Goals vs Resolution (bizarreprodigy.com)
- I’m in this for the long run (telegraph.co.uk)
Oldies but Goodies
Oldies but goodies. I’ve got a lot of hits on an earlier article Beach Bodies Workouts so I decided to give it a face lift and bring it to the front of the line. If you want to see more of my early articles you can use the search bar at the top of the page and I’ve also added an archives tab to the right. Happy Reading.
1. The Spartacus Challenge. This routine has really proved its place at the top. I have completed the workout shown countless times and can attest to is effectiveness. Be sure to stretch out those muscles while your cooling down or your legs will hate you for a few days!
2. Body Rock. From every workout available this is still my favorite. While zuzana has stepped to the side allowing another buff energetic gal to take you through the workouts the quality of the site has remained the same and will always be my go to site. It is perfect for any level and offers recipes and other helpful advice.
3. All about the six-pack .This is a routine I recently ran across while playing online that I thought was really fun and easy enough even for beginners. This is a quick 12 minute workout all you need is a couch and the will power. This is the routine I have used all along with The Spartacus Challenge and some of Zuzanas routines. Enjoy.
- BodyRockTV for fit fat people (alchemyofscrawl.wordpress.com)
- Workout HIIT BodyrockTV and ZWOW 3/6/12 (alchemyofscrawl.wordpress.com)
- Spartacus Workout 3.0 (potentialroyalmarine.wordpress.com)
- Pool Workout that is FUNNNNNNNNNN (thepersonaltrainer.co.nz)
- 1/23/12 – Monday – Spartacus Returns! (midwestfit.com)